Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Generation Gap: Or, "When I feel old"

My Sister: “Since when has there been a new introduction to Play School?”
Me: “This has been the introduction for ages”
“Well, I haven’t watched for ages. I work, you know”
Me, getting huffy: “I work too, you know”
“I work away from the TV set”

That made me think, well she has a point. If I was going to be reactionary and paranoid, I’d jump up and down and say, “Is that all you think I do? Sit and watch TV all day?”
Then I stopped and thought, “Well, I do have the TV on a lot of the time.”
That thought depressed me so much I am acutally pleased
(relieved)*
that non-ratings season TV starts next week.
Which depresses me even more.

*Three stars to the person who can tell me which Stephen King book I’m emulating here, which I happen to be reading at the moment.

Comments on "Generation Gap: Or, "When I feel old""

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (7:19 am) : 

Ooh, ooh, me, me! I know! Is it "Lisey's Story?" 'Cause I'm reading it too, and boy, are there quite a few parenthetical comments!

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (9:03 am) : 

Not so much a generation gap... it's the "you're a mum, she's not thing". I consider having been able to watch playschool one of the joys, the rewards, the perks, the HONOUR, of having been a full time mum. As I say here!

I'm not backing you up for watching Oprah, or the Bold and the Beautiful, or any of those shows in the daytime though... ;)

At least you are reading!

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (12:26 pm) : 

d.Paul - no, I'm referring to "Carrie" actually, but as I haven't read all the many King novels, I couldn't've been too sure if he didn't use it in others...and obviosuly, he does!! I heard him say "Liseys' Story" is one of his best - what do you think?

T- I never watch "Bold and etc". So I guess I can be glad about_that_

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (4:08 pm) : 

Miscellaneous-Mum,

This is me, hanging my head in literary shame. Sigh. Oh, well. As for the quality of "Lisey's Story," it's interesting, and it's fresher than some of his more recent work, but personally, I wouldn't call it his best work. I recommend checking it out after you've had your fill of possessed automobiles.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (5:11 pm) : 

I might D.Paul...after I first finish my book and had my fill of a certain telekinetic teenage girl ;)

 

post a comment