Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Reporting to you live from the world's current furnace

Photo taken from The Age. It shows the court temperature in Fahrenheit from the Australian Open yesterday. Almost off the charts!










Did I say yesterday was hot? It only got worse. There have only been a few times in my life when I have literally wanted to drop to my knees and kiss God's feet in gratitude:

  • When the pain finally subsided from a burst ovarian cyst.
  • When the door finally opened in a malfunctioning carnival ride, after I had been stuck inside in the dark for about 15 minutes, barely keeping hold of my sanity. Gee I wonder why I'm a tad claustrophobic?!

But we may have another example. Yesterday, approximately 1/3 of Victoria lost its power when the bushfires affected the energy grid. On a 40 degree day, that is one thing I could not have handled. Ours, blessedly, stayed on. Thank you, thank you, thank you, sweet Jesus! What would I have done with the kids? I couldn't even had put them in the kiddie pool outside - we're not allowed to fill it! And if the power was out, I doubt a trip to the supermarket or mall would've been effective either. Either they were out too - or the masses would have converged.

Last night didn't improve. Despite the air cooler, Riley's room stayed at a hot 27 degrees, 3 higher than what his little thermometer deemed "comfortable". Damn right. Poor Keira's room was no better. I got up this morning to learn the temperature outside never dipped below 30 degrees.
And we still have at least 2 more days of this ahead!

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..."

Also, spare a thought for the poor pregnant woman, Adam told me, who was stuck in a lift with 10 other people when the power went out. If that'd been me, I'd have chewed my way through the steel with superhuman strength for my liberty!

Labels:

Comments on "Reporting to you live from the world's current furnace"

 

post a comment