Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Advice Wanted

Don't sweat, nothing too deep and meaningful.

Keira starts her orientation at preschool in a few weeks and of course I have to send her along with all her materials marked "THIS IS MINE!" (otherwise, I'm sure her name will be just as appropriate).

When I read all the kiddie magazines, I see lovely, elaborate personalised stickers I can send away for, or buy the machine thing to do it myself. The machine would be quite naffy, as I could then go around the house and, say, put "fridge" on the fridge, or "toothbrush" on Adam's toothbrush and really piss him off. But I digress...

Or, we could go the "just use a black marker pen" route, which is what Adam is gunning for.

"Black texta was perfectly good for us, it'll do for her" he says, which is true, sure, but I'm not 100% convinced.

As Keira has not been in care (other than those three disastrous weeks, and even there it wasn't required. I don't think) I'm still a novice at such matters.
What do you all think? Thanks :)

Comments on "Advice Wanted"

 

Blogger strauss said ... (11:18 am) : 

I know the stickers you mean. They are pretty nice and very cute. Personally I would like to get one of these nifty label makers. It would be handy for many things. However, The masking tape and pen is the slackers way I have gone. My son could care less, the teachers only want to know whose snack box belongs to whom, so they don't really care either. I am sure they would give the snack box a second glance if the label were pretty and they might even comment on it, but it is up to you. there will be a mixture of different techniques out there. I don't think your child will be alone if they black marker was used.
Thaks for stopping by my site :)
I enjoy yours quite a bit.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (12:29 pm) : 

The name iron-on cloth labels are good for clothes... and I'd recommend them. For the rest?... bah.. black marker pen is fine. The rest is just 'show-off' material in my opinion! Very cute, but I'm sure you have more worthy things to spend your money on!

And if you turn your house into a kindergarten with every item labelled, I'll never speak to you again!! (lol - joking.. well.. half joking!!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 pm) : 

I personally felt quite proud when I was little of having the professionally printed labels on my items of clothing/bath towels/pencils/pens...it was a very grown up feeling. Texta will suffice, of course, but it doesn't look as nice.

 

Blogger shishyboo said ... (9:24 pm) : 

I've found that laundry markers bleed into the fabric tags of clothes, making the name difficult to read so iron on labels would be better like Tracey recommended.
I label cups & bottles for childcare with black marker, it does the job though rubs off. I like Strauss' idea of masking tape labels.
My mum used to scrape off a bit of the painted wood of my pencils and write my name on the bare wood in biro. That worked well until the pencil became too short but by then you have to replace it anyway.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (7:57 am) : 

I was worried about texta bleeding too. I think my mum did the iron on label thing too - where do you get those from Tracey?

Otherwise, even for the interim, masking tape and texta will be fine.

Thanks all! This is very helpful

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (11:36 am) : 

I got the first 2 lots Before the time of the Internet... and when I went to find them again couldn't find them. For #3 I just did a google (search something like 'cloth iron on names or labels'.. and you'll get a heap of hits. (Select Aust. sites).. then you can compare prices.. Most of those places have the sticky sort as well if you want to go that road as well.

I'd advise not to select too cute pictures for any of them (go plain) because before you know it they'll be in high school and you'll still have labels left!

(I was only hassling you about the naming of the household items!.. had a friend once who did it...and ... um.. yeah...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 pm) : 

I reckon Keira would love pretty labels on her stuff, which may help her a bit with the separation she'll feel when she goes for the first time...anything to make her feel more confident during the transition would be worth it. On the other hand, if she won't notice or care about it, a black texta sounds adequate.

 

Blogger jeanie said ... (2:43 pm) : 

Cute is good for preschool - you will resort to texta etc by grade 1 term 2, so enjoy the cutie stuff and feel sorry for no 2 who will have a mum converted to the texta by the time he starts!!

 

post a comment