Powered by Blogger

Thursday, April 26, 2007

1001 Book Challenge + Thirteen Reasons why you should read Wide Sargasso Sea

1. You've probably never heard of it, and it's good to extend your library.

2. It's the prequel (of sorts) to Jane Eyre - one of the best books ever written.

3. Unlike contemporary sequels/prequels of classic books which tend to be terrible in quality, this book has gone on to forge a considerable reputation of its own.

4. It's partially set in the luscious Caribbean, and you can virtually feel the oppressive steam.

5. It's also partially set in England, which is a stark contrast, to put it mildly.

6. It took Jean Rhys nine years to complete, so it may give all of us who suffer writer's block some hope!

7. Any book with the character Edward Rochester in it is a winner in my eyes! (plus you see him get all down and dirty...kind of)

8. Any book which intelligently deals with mental illness, such suffered by the main protagonist, is worth a try.

9. Budding writers must take note of it's language: simple and beautiful. Rhys only ever uses as many words as are required.

10. It's a thin book - only 156 pages.

11. Because I said so!

12. It will make you want to run out an read Jane Eyre again, just to compare and remind yourself of the context and the difference of perspective between characters.

13. It's also got racial differences, infidelity, voodoo, alcohol, gossip, malice, and lots of spice. What more could you want?!

, See more here!

Labels:

Comments on "1001 Book Challenge + Thirteen Reasons why you should read Wide Sargasso Sea"

 

Blogger Tink said ... (8:05 am) : 

I already read Wide Sargasso Sea! And right after it I finished Jane Eyre again. :-)
My TT: Thirteen things I do on the computer.

 

Blogger Rashenbo said ... (8:38 am) : 

Yup, never heard of it... but it sounds great! Thank you for telling us about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 am) : 

sounds like a good book!
http://jadesymb.livejournal.com/279252.html

 

Blogger DK said ... (10:52 am) : 

Don't know how I missed it, but I did and now I'm curious. I'm gonna look for this book online tonight. Thanks for the recommendation! Have a great week and Happy TTing.
DK
A Flyover Blog

 

Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said ... (10:53 am) : 

I've heard of this, but never thought much about it. Thanks for some very thoughtful reasons to read it.

Happy TT!

 

Blogger strauss said ... (11:30 am) : 

WE read this in University a part of the English course I did. I really enjoyed it too. There is also a movie of it. I saw it on TV a couple of years ago - the book was better, as is usually the case.

 

Blogger Janet said ... (11:31 am) : 

Is Edward Rochester the Earl of Rochester that Johnny Depp portrayed in The Libertine?

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (11:38 am) : 

I've heard of it! You make me want to go find a copy. Wonder if my library has it...

 

Blogger L^2 said ... (2:24 pm) : 

I read Wide Sargaso Sea earlier this year after finishing Jane Eyre again. And I agree with you; it is an interesting and enjoyable book.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 pm) : 

I've had this book on my to read list for so long, thanks to your review - I'll move it up and dive in (it's late and I'm mixing metaphors).

Have a great TT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 pm) : 

Sounds like a wonderful book. Will definitely check it out. Hmm, no wonder my "to read" list keeps getting larger, I keep hearing about new books on T13!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 pm) : 

I will do it just because you said so.

:-)

Happy TT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 pm) : 

I've never heard of it...but I have a Barnes & Noble gift certificate, so I guess I'll have to look for it...because you said so.

 

Blogger Maddy said ... (11:26 pm) : 

I read it a loooooooong time ago, but in a different lifetime too, before all this. I can remember the odd shard, so maybe I could do with a re-read and a completely different take.
Cheers

 

Blogger dawnae said ... (3:24 am) : 

hey thanks for the heads up...never heard of this book, and now can't wait to find it! I have my first thirteen up today! http://niftynicholsonnews@blogspot.com

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (3:50 am) : 

If only my books to read stack wasn't so tall! My TT13 is up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Crazy Working Mom said ... (4:22 am) : 

Great list...but sorry I have no time for reading now. Maybe when the kids are grown. Although hubby is going to be gone this weekend and kids are at Grandma's. I'll have some time alone. Maybe I'll go pick up a copy!?

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (4:54 am) : 

This book sounds very promising.

 

Blogger Janae said ... (1:57 pm) : 

This book sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (5:37 am) : 

I just found this post via the Bookworms Carnival. I'm planning to read this book as part of an "Unread Authors" Reading Challenge, and because it's one of the "1001". I am looking forward to it!

Laura
http://laura0218.livejournal.com

 

post a comment