Powered by Blogger

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The meme that is not a meme

Jean-Luc last week asked this question on his blog: "Name a group of people you would choose as guests in a dinner party and why. Choose as many as you wish."

Now, unlike other memes which I do and then forget within moments, this question actually stayed with me for days. Perhaps because this is such an 'old-school' question and I've pondered it many times over the course of my life.

This is how my answer would read this week. Next week it could be completely different.

1. Shakespeare - to see if he was as brilliant as his words are.

2. Winston Churchill - to revel in his oratory (although he may dominate the conversation, rather). I'd be interested to hear him talk about his 'black dog' depression.

3. Jack the Ripper (wheeled in bound and muzzled, like Hannibal Lecter) - just to see who the hell he was. Then he can be wheeled out again.

4. Bono - Because he's one of the most dynamic people around right now.

5. Helen Garner - We can huddle together and gossip and talk about writing while the boys carry on.

6. Lord Byron - To see what the fuss and swooning was all about 'in the day'.

7. Casanova - Ditto.

8. Bill Clinton - To enjoy his charisma (come on, you know he's pretty sexy.) He's always enormously interesting to listen to.

9. William Shatner - To see if he's as pompous in real life as he's rumoured to be. Plus I love him. Plus, I want him to talk 'Esperanto' to me!!

10. Angelina Jolie - She's gorgeous.

11. Cate Blanchett - Ditto

12. Errol Flynn - Because I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for him.

13. Ernest Hemingway - To hear him talk about his adventures AND his writing. A two-for-one bonus!

What do you think?

Comments on "The meme that is not a meme"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:17 am) : 

thats a fun list!!! Thanks for doing it!

 

Blogger Dewey said ... (8:45 am) : 

I'd sure like to have dinner with Bono, too! But just me and Bono. Alone. Just us.

 

Blogger Crimson Wife said ... (8:47 am) : 

Well, Angelina would probably sneak away with at least half your guests for a "quickie", LOL!

Interesting topic!

 

Blogger pussreboots said ... (9:12 am) : 

Lol at #3.

 

Blogger PJ said ... (9:17 am) : 

Bill Clinton is definitely a hottie, is there room for one more at your dinner table?

 

Blogger impwork said ... (9:56 am) : 

Having read the comments I can't think of anything to say that PJ's doesn't upstage...

Nice TT

 

Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said ... (10:59 am) : 

Interesting group. I'm with you about Jack the Ripper. But ... would he tell us the truth about who he is?

I still want Axl Rose at my table. Mostly to see how badly he's messed himself up between ego and drugs. Although I'd be fascinated if I was wrong about him being messed up and it's all an act...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 am) : 

I would love to meet William Shatner. It would be fun to hear his Hollywood tales.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 pm) : 

I get asked this in interviews all the time, it really is a hard question to answer. LOL

You did great with them, though :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 pm) : 

Great List!!!

 

Blogger Wylie Kinson said ... (12:39 pm) : 

I wouldn't have Ang without Brad!

 

Blogger Janet said ... (1:44 pm) : 

Love the imagery of Jack the Ripper ala Hannibal Lecter!

Great list of interesting people, for sure!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 pm) : 

I read a book about Winston Churchill and his depression and how his depression really focussed him and he was actually at his most creative, his most powerful when he was at his darkest. I wish I could remember what the book was called.

Having been tagged three times in the past week, I can say that this is truly a thought provoking meme (that's not a meme).

Have a great weekend! My TT is up too: 13 cool writing tips from Jack Kerouac.

 

Blogger L^2 said ... (2:58 pm) : 

That's an interesting group of people. They would definitely make for an interesting dinner party. I'd have to have a scientist or two on my list though, 'cause I'm a nerd like that. :-)

 

Blogger Scribbit said ... (4:03 pm) : 

If we're talking writers I'd go for Edith Wharton and Henry James because they knew each other and would be interesting as a duo.

Celebs? I've always enjoyed Sandra Bullock but heard she's got a colorful mouth :)

Harry Connick Junior and Ellen DeGeneres would be fun to talk to.

 

Blogger maiylah said ... (4:18 pm) : 

that's an interesting bunch!
would really be great to know what would happen with those kind of guests around! :)
happy T13

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 pm) : 

Are you sure about # 8? ;-)

 

Blogger Crazy Working Mom said ... (1:28 am) : 

Very interesting list. Rather eclectic as well, I must say.
Great job!

Happy TTing.

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (3:53 am) : 

Cate& Angelina are favourites of miine as well. Good choices!

 

Blogger Spy Scribbler said ... (1:46 pm) : 

Bono, yes! Jolie, yeah, definitely! Although I'd pick Patrick Stewart over Shatner any day!

Happy TT!

 

Blogger The Pilgrim said ... (10:24 am) : 

I'd love to meet Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)...he'd add an "absurd" edge to the evening.

 

post a comment