Powered by Blogger

Monday, July 30, 2007

Entrepreneurship 101

Keira has taken to 'setting up shop' in our walk-in-wardrobe. Her wares are exclusively our shoes, and it could be any part of the day when I walk by our bedroom to hear her muffled cries within of, "Shoes for sale! Come and try my shoes!"

So I oblige, and walk in to see her waving a hand, very 'Price is Right' style, saying, "What would you like to try?"

I must say I am rather pleased she has taken to playing with non-techno toys or games, but I really don't think my humble collection of shoes quite meets up to her enthusiasm.

I put on shoes that must be at least ten years old. I dangle my foot around in the light, trying to be objective, but when Keira asks, "Do you like it?" more often than not I have to admit to myself, "No, not really."

They are all tired. The leather is scuffed. The soles are uneven or bald. They all have a history, too. I put on my wedding shoes and can barely pull the straps over my barnacled, scabby, flesh. I would never wear them in public again because my feet look so ugly. I don't see why I bought them in the first place, to be honest.

Adam also must try on his old shoes. We look at each other, and we (well, I do) wonder at her creativity, but also at our lack of style and sophistication. Imelda Marcus or David Beckham, we are not.

But I don't think I'd want it any other way.

Comments on "Entrepreneurship 101"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 am) : 

Gotta love that imaginative play!
Cheers

 

Blogger jeanie said ... (9:27 am) : 

Oh I know your joy (and pain).

My daughter has recently set up an art gallery, where she will draw anything for money...

Sounds like it is time to not just retire some of those shoes, but put them permanently in that playground in the sky.

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (11:15 am) : 

i always enjoy the children selling lemonade by the side of the road. makes me smile.

and if it makes you feel any better, i still the first pair of Doc Martens i ever bought, back in 1994. still wear 'em from time to time, too, even though they have less traction than Alberto Gonzales's recent testimony.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 pm) : 

Ahh the simplicity and the imagination of play...such a sweet story and very uplifting in a world full of bash em up computer games :)

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (3:23 pm) : 

mcewan - oh, I do!

jeanie - is she a good drawerer?

d.paul - Do I detect saracasm? ;) I do love a political aside :)

MGL -yes, its refreshing in this day and age

 

Blogger Julie Pippert said ... (11:21 pm) : 

Clever girl. Very cute!

My kids love playing house in the walk-in closets. We have a pair, in our bath. The little one gets mine, the big one gets Dad's and they invite on a another over. It's cute, nice way for me to get to get ready a.m.s LOL

Oh man, I can feel your pain for the shoes.

Sometimes I get this mirror in front of me and wow, I see my time does NOT go into me any longer LOL.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 am) : 

So sweet -- but yes Julie, I agree about the time.

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (4:31 am) : 

I assure you; one David Beckham is one more than we need!

 

post a comment