Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Eating my words - Cheerios vs Froot Loops smackdown

Adam was most aggrieved the other day when he read my post about Cheerios and Froot Loops.

"They do not taste the same, and I'm going to go buy a box of both to prove it!"

So yesterday I was subjected to a blind taste-test, where which I learned that, indeed, they do not taste the same. Froot Loops are just as evil tasting as I remember (but with not much more sugar than Cheerios, actually, if you take the time to read the box).

However, ever since Keira has clasped eyes on those synthetic colourful balls of diabetes-waiting-to-happen, she's wanted to eat them. So this morning we gave her a extra-special treat, but I'm going to have to find a hiding space in the cupboard for the box, because 'extra-special treat' in her eyes equals 'extra-special for only so long as I want to eat them again, whereupon I will pester you until your eyeballs dry out so I can eat them again.'

Fun times.

What foods do you wish your kids had never discovered?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Last night I finished Harry Potter. I have removed the poll I had on my left sidebar now because, now I'm done, I cannot trust myself not to spoil it for others, by leaving temptation there for commentary.

If anyone has finished it and wants to discuss, however, feel free to email me and we can discuss it privately. For I have a lot to say!

Comments on "Eating my words - Cheerios vs Froot Loops smackdown"

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (8:38 am) : 

Since I don't have any kids, I don't actually have any foods I wish they'd never discovered. Instead, I take a certain amount of umbrage at your maligning my fave-oh-rite cereal, Froot Loops; there's just something about them that makes the morning that much better. What have they ever done to you, Misc Mum? I've been away from your blog for a bit, and I return, only to find you casting aspersions on my cereal of choice. Sigh. But at least I can relate to your Harry Potter entry. I've been working my way through the book, and I know that I've spoken to my girlfriend since I started reading, but I can't recall the duration or content of our conversations.

 

Blogger Maddy said ... (9:00 am) : 

I have mixed feelings on this one. One of my sons [the neophobic one] eats little goldfish crackers, and not much else. I wish he didn't eat them, but if he didn't there isn't much left in his diet!
Actually, I'm exaggerating, he's up to 17 'foods' now.
Cheers

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (9:07 am) : 

Why not just empty sugar into your bowl and add milk?!! I have never even tasted Cheerios, and don't intend to. Ever! I classify Fruit Loops as only a slightly better alternative to lollies - so I've only ever bought them for kids parties. You let them make a necklace or bracelet by threading them onto something like plastic twine. Or thread them up already, and give them out as a party favour.
[It has been easier for me to stop buying any of the more processed cereals - even rice bubbles, because my youngest would always get constipated from eating them for breakfast. The link became so obvious that even she accepted it, and now knows to avoid them!]

As to your question though (and this will show you what a hyprocrite I am!!), I wish I'd never let my kids (eldest in particular) put brown sugar on weetbix.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (11:09 am) : 

d.paul - oh, I am pleased to see you again and hope I did not aggrieve you too much either. I think you and my husband have a lot in common!

mcewan - oh, sounds like a tough predicament you find yourself in...

T - you wish no sugar on weetbix?! But I thought that was compulsory. Because, honestly, weetbix don't taste like much without it - or is that just me?!?

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (9:00 pm) : 

It's the disapproving Daddy re the brown sugar on weetbix. I do believe I introduced said child to brown sugar on weetbix. Sometimes when I am being very very good I find sultanas and yoghurt (and maybe strawberries if I can get them) make weetbix edible. He's such a paragon of bloody virtue... *sighs*

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (4:59 am) : 

I'm smiling at the thought of you doing your blind taste test!

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (4:59 am) : 

Misc Mum, thanks for the welcome back. It's good to be here. And have no fear, I sat down and had a bowl of Froot Loops, and all is better. No aggrievement to speak of. By the way, I wanted to say that the blog really looks fantastic, and it's fun to read, as always.

 

post a comment