Powered by Blogger

Friday, May 04, 2007

Random Thoughts....on StumbleUpon

StumbleUpon



Since we've swapped to Windows Vista (that evil dominatrix of software which does not allow us to think for ourselves) I have not as yet installed the Stumbleupon toolbar back onto our browser, thus denying myself the pleasure of 'stumbling' over other sites in the world I would otherwise never encounter.

(For those not in the know there is an excellent introduction to StumbleUpon here)

When people speak of StumbleUpon, it is usually in regards to potentially driving new traffic to your blog, so it can be an excellent means of social linking/networking.

In my case, this week, it has proved to be an excellent mood boost.

Last week, I posted this. A humble little offering which diffused into the ether pretty much as soon as it was posted, like aspro into a glass of water. Which is fine, I guess. I don't write magnum opus posts in general; I rarely have time to go into loving detail and, to be honest, I rarely read posts which do - - unless I really, really love your writing.

So imagine my happy surprise the other day when I saw in my site meter hundreds and hundreds of extra visitors, all coming to that particular page because someone began the avalanche of clicking "I like it!". Since then, I've seen people link back to it in their own posts and ponder the questions I asked. And, yes, there is a little irony here because I specifically said I was no self-help guru, but perhaps there is a middle ground here that can be struck.

I'm not sure if I have a specific point here; I guess if there is one, it would be to say that no matter how despondant you might get in your blog writing, if you're despairing that your words are going unsung and unheralded, you just never know. It might happen. It probably already does.

And get StumbleUpon, so you may 'share the love' with others, perhaps.


Comments on "Random Thoughts....on StumbleUpon"

 

Blogger Maddy said ... (7:06 am) : 

One of my pals said that Stumbleupon was worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.
cheers

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (7:14 am) : 

Thanks to you! I think you were the lone commenter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 am) : 

I love stumble upon! And I just thumbsupped you!

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (3:17 pm) : 

So I downloaded it.
But how do you find blogs? Or don't you? Or what? I'm confused.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (3:33 pm) : 

dew- thanks!

T- hmmm...well, I'm in the parent/parenting category (along those lines) so I guess if you stumble other sites in the same category youre bound to come upon other blogs? Is that what you meant? It's been a while since I actually set it up.

 

Blogger Scribbit said ... (3:59 pm) : 

I've loved playing around with it and discovering new sites, but I've never been stumbledupon. So much for expertise :)

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (5:02 am) : 

I have the Vista disc, but have not inserted it, as I'm unsure of the effects ans whether I will lose anything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 pm) : 

When you choose your topic, if you choose BOTH parenting AND weblogs, you'll get parenting blogs.Not many at first, but now and then. If you thumbs-up every parenting blog you stumble upon, you'll start getting more.

 

post a comment