Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"How's work?"

Ah, the age-old question. Being a SAHM/WAHM* mother, I'm used to being bypassed for conversation. The above question is rarely put to me. The fact that I do do writing gigs - when I get the time - which do, in fact, pay dosh, doesn't seem to register to some people. (I won't name names). Adam is asked when am I going back to work? When's Karen going to pull in a regular salary?

I tell you what it does - it pisses me off.


(By the way, my latest article, 'Climate Control' is available to be read in Coles Baby Magazine right now, Issue Spring 2007. I'm just saying...)

So when a friend (this friend) asked me, "How about you? What work's happening right now?" I could've kissed her. I was so grateful.

Actually, it's semi-interesting. 2008 marks the 100th anniversary of the publication of L. M Montgomery's novel, Anne of Green Gables. I'm starting to think about what I could write about to co-incide. Any thoughts? I know there are thousands of Anne-lovers out there. Anyone have any juicy anecdotes about Montgomery or their own reading experiences of the novel(s)?

*I really hate acronyms.

Comments on ""How's work?""

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (8:59 am) : 

You could always tell 'em that raising children is damn well a full-time job.

And it's not exactly the same, but I worked at a day care for several months before nabbing a job at the paper, and folks would always ask my girlfriend when I was getting a "real" job. They've obviously never tried to take care of 20 four year olds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 am) : 

People are idiots for thinking that making money is the be all and end all in life (it helps with the day-to-day, I know). I reckon that out of nearly anyone I know, you are doing something that you are truly passionate about and you are persuing your dream of writing, and dude, you're getting published and that's awesome! Good on you and stuff everyone else's judgements! Ok, off my soapbox now... I never got around to reading Anne of Green Gables, maybe that can be a goal for 2008.

 

Blogger strauss said ... (11:30 am) : 

I hear you. I tend to feel insufficient when I am asked that question, but then again, I was often by-passed about my job before I had kids so I don't know why I shoudl feel that way or even why I shoudl have to justify my time to any otehr bastard anyway. I feel more angry at myself for my embarrassment or feelings of inadequacy rather than put out by the askers question. My hubby was once told by a co-worker that I woudl NEVER get a job now that I am a SAHM and everytime I see this guy he asks me when I am getting a job, even before he thinks of saying hello...he is basically a shithead of a person. HA HA, no really, I am not being defensive :)

 

Blogger pussreboots said ... (2:08 pm) : 

I've only been working from home (thanks to telecommuting) now for a year but in the 10 years that I've been working, people always ask my husband first what he does for a living. For most of these 10 years, he's been in graduate school!!!

 

Blogger shishyboo said ... (6:54 pm) : 

everyone assumes that if you worked before you had babies, you'll go back after having them.
not me if I can help it (and as long as we can afford it), I love staying at home with my daughter and I don't think I have the time to work on top of all the other stuff I do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 am) : 

I hate sham. What silly woman came up with that one. It says we're SHAMS. We're not, we're too busy.

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (5:47 am) : 

I'm not fond of acronyms either. Some people seem to just talk in initials.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (9:47 am) : 

d.paul - I do say that, but with people without kids it rarely registers! (but having worked with kids, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!)

liz - thanks lovie ;) :)

strauss - yes, it's a male-first directed question, isn't it? And we've all met shitheads like you described!

pussreboots - ha! typical, eh?

shishyboo - good for you for know what you want :)

susieJ- SHAMS? I hadn't heard that one. yeaoch!

JLP - yes, jargonistas, I like to call them

 

Blogger A Mothers Life for Me said ... (9:03 am) : 

How funny...I just read this post...and I only happened to start reading my well loved copy of Anne of Green Gables 3 days ago!

 

post a comment