Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 18, 2007

New folks in town

Setting: a mid-western, large country town. Karen and Adam have left the kids with their Grandmother to escape for a nice lunch by themselves. The cafe they are at is the busiest in town, and is currently packed to the rafters.

Adam (squirming uncomfortably): I think I'm a bit overdressed.

[Adam is wearing his usual attire of jeans and a nice, cotton, collared long-sleeved shirt. The other gents who are walking into the place are in the Saturday-country uniform of Rugby Jersey's of their favoured teams, wide-brimmed leather hats and lightly dusted-off RM Williams boots. There is a flannel shirt among the throng, too.]

Karen: Oh? I didn't notice.

Adam: I am. I'm getting looks.

Karen: You wore flannel when I first met you.

Adam: I've come a long way, baby.

Karen: I wouldn't say that too loud, unless you want to walk out of here without your front teeth.

Comments on "New folks in town"

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (12:57 am) : 

I had the perfect picture of that scene. Very funny.

And it reminds me of my first week at the newspaper I work at; it's in the Coal Region of Pennsylvania, and there are some rough-looking individuals, who weren't accustomed to my ties and vests. They seem to have warmed to me, though.

Incidentally, quite a few of them are missing front teeth, too. It's really an acquired look

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (2:25 am) : 

Wonderfully described. The last lines by Adam and Karen are priceless.

 

post a comment