Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Top Ten Overrated Books List

This is a simple list, as I was distracted last night writing it. I was watching 2005's Comic Relief special of Little Britain. Robbie Williams dressed as a transvestite 'lady' is truly something to behold. Anyway, here goes:

1) The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell
Yawn. By the time she was at a rodeo in Spain or whatever, I'm like, "please, please finish".
2)Housekeeping/Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
I was really disappointed with these. I've heard nothing but PRAISE for these and considering Gilead won the Pulitzer, I was expecting more than I got. Look, the prose is good, but it's supposed to be read slooooooowly, taking time to enjoy the language blah blah. I don't have time for that at the moment.
3) The River Ophelia by Justine Ettler
A Masters of Creative Writing project that was published. Perhaps it shouldn't have been. Look, I understand what she was trying to do, with the sex and the grunge factor, but it’s a bit overdone.
4) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova Perhaps this is another example of "I don't have time for this". I get peeved with most vampire novels though, because it is part of my pet subject of interest and most of them just get it all wrong (in my mind). Good writing, but....I don't know. Something was missing.
5) The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
It had me; I was sucked in entirely. Until half-way. Then I realised the book had none of the faith or depth or soul as its religious subject matter. I just think that’s a bit ironic
6) Temple by Matthew Reilly oops no, Seven Ancient Wonders
Not even an overrated book. Not even a good book at all. Terrible. Even Adam stopped at the third chapter. That’s saying something.
edit: Of course, I meant to say his most recent book, not Temple. But really, I'm splitting hairs....
7) Persuasion by Jane Austen
Yawn-o-rama. Really had no sense of humour, which is vital in an Austen.
8) The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway
I love Hemmingway, don't get me wrong. I've just tried with this book so many times and I can't get into it. Perhaps I need to grow into it a bit more. Maybe I'm a bit young to appreciate it
9) The Red Tent by Anita Damant
A biblical 'epic' of sorts. There just wasn't much of a story to sustain me --and considering its religious roots, that’s shouldn't have been an issue. Old Testament rules for its dramaticism
10) I’m still working on it...

Comments on "Top Ten Overrated Books List"

 

post a comment