Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 13, 2006

How to prevent gender issues in your child

Actually, that should read, "How NOT to prevent gender issues in your child"

I have nearly two and a half years practice of saying to my baby, "Oh good girl!" as she accomplishes one sort of milestone or another. My brain is programmed to say it almost automatically.

So, poor Riley, usually when he does something well, the words "Oh good girl!" tend to just spill out. Then I apologise, and say, "Good boy!"

(I can now understand my grandmother, who sometimes rattles off half a dozen of my cousin's or aunt's names before settling on mine. It DOES get confusing!)

To add to this, Riley wears some of Keira's hand me down clothes! Mind, I used to dress her somewhat of a tomboy. So, when he looks cute in his rugby guernsey, I say "That was Keira's!". People look at me strangely....

Oh, and then there's this:



I have to stress, his FATHER modelled that shot.

Good Lord, what kind of house is this?!

Comments on "How to prevent gender issues in your child"

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (1:13 pm) : 

Well, despite the tiara he looks nothing like a girl! He's a real BOY, I have to say.

With 3 girls, I haven't experienced the he/she thing, but I know friends with both who do, and the kids emerge unscathed. And the 'little brother dressing up like his sister' thing.. completely normal too. The full fairy outfit and all.

My first bub had no hair for quite some time, so she was often assumed to be a boy, which annoyed me no end. I also tended to dress all of mine in unisex type clothing as I'm not much into pink frilly, tizzy things, but I used to get really cranky.. "What, is it pink only for girls, and every other colour for boys?"

But never fear... nature or environment will override it. At two years old, when we somehow ended up buying her a bike, Cait had to have the PINK one... wouldn't hear of the cool looking red and black one.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (9:39 am) : 

Hey T, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm with you, I don't think the he/she thing will really matter at all - just screw with my already pretty full head, is all!

 

post a comment