Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines, Schmalentines

It's 2.30pm here and I've received nothing as yet. No flowers; just exchanging testy-bordering emails with Adam, who's volunteered us for all-and-sundry on the preschool committee. Not that I mind....

Anyway, I am relieved I have not received anything, because (for once) as per instruction I too have not done anything. Not even bought a card.

BUT.

Last night, when Adam was at said preschool committee meeting, I did decide to try out a new recipe and double up the sentiment as an early offering to the little Saint. It was a melt and mix cake. A damn expensive one. The chocolate component alone cost $10. It said "300g good quality chocolate", so I complied. At 10pm Adam walks in the door, sniffs the air and his eyes brighten like a hungry dog's.

He tastes it and wrinkles up his nose, and sounding eerily similar to Andy from Little Britain declares, "I don't like it".

As you'd expect at that hour, this was not what I was hoping to hear. I sampled the cake myself. And, much to my dismay, I had to agree with him. It was too bitter (dark chocolate). Something was really off. He said, "put it in the bin". Chortling like any miser at the suggestion I said, "Maybe it will taste better in the morning".

Which it did, but still not enough. I might freeze it to crumble up to go on top of vanilla ice cream. That might do the trick.

So, my valentines offering wasn't a great hit.

How was everybody else's day?

Comments on "Valentines, Schmalentines"

 

Blogger Gattina said ... (3:21 pm) : 

Don't worry, I have never celebrated Valentine's and I am still alive ! For me all this is quite new because nobody I know celebrates it.

 

Blogger jeanie said ... (4:48 pm) : 

lol - well, it started with the battery dying on the phone before I had even exchanged any sort of greeting at all (let alone Valentines) in my early morning call from my sweetie - and sort of just kept on in that vein...

At least I got a beautiful text message later - but then, I get them every day.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (11:07 pm) : 

I went and had a massage for the first time ever. Suppose that's a treat, but it was sheer coincidence. And then I felt woozy for an hour or two. And the next thing I knew it was after school, and I was doing the mad taxi run here, there and everywhere. I'm glad I wasn't trying to fit romance into the day as well.

 

Blogger catherine (fairchild) calhoun said ... (2:30 am) : 

one kid post-ortho surgery and one with a raging ear infection -- not quite as romantic as i'd hoped. still early, maybe it will improve? and can always eat the kids' candy :)

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (8:00 am) : 

Well, a bit of everything, wasn't it?

*shameface* After my little rant, I woke up this morning to a beautiful love letter written on the inside of a card.

WOW.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 pm) : 

I got the same- a love letter written on the inside of a card. I got other things too, but as everyone else seems to be a little more anti-valentines i might just keep it to myself...

 

Blogger Kristi said ... (5:45 am) : 

Oh, that's too bad. I've never understood the hype about dark chocolate. Milk chocolate is by far the best.

 

post a comment