Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 10, 2007

How to encourage drawing with (you and) your kids

I have Keira to thank for this post.

The other day when we were at the library, after we had exhausted the kid's section, then the DVDs, we finally got to 'my' turn, which usually means I get a quick look at the non-fiction return trolley before one (or both) of the kids has a tantrum with the waiting.

At such times, to keep herself amused, Keira often runs off and randomly pulls books off the shelves. What she discovers is better than Google's "Surprise Me!" search option. You want to know about the Trans-Siberian Railway? Thomas Eddison? How to cook authentic Moroccan food? Executing the perfect knitting stitches? Animal Husbandry? Keira will (and has) found it.

This happened again the other day, except this time she struck gold. I have often lamented my lack of drawing skills. Little did I realise there were books out there to help remedy my situation.



She pulled this book off and since then we've been experimenting together, enjoying our craft time all the more (well, I have) because now I can do more than draw tic-tack-toe grids and endless, endless cubes, with the occasional roof on top to make a suburb of homes because I realise these drawings may one day be used against me in a court of law and I want to demonstrate some sort of 'maternal identity'.

So, if you'd like to brush up your skills, perhaps do a search at your library for "drawing" or something similar. Under the Dewey categorisation system, these books are numbered 741-743, so it might be quicker to start there.

Comments on "How to encourage drawing with (you and) your kids"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 pm) : 

Sound like something I could use. I'm the worst drawer and need all the help I can get!

Thank you for sharing this with the Carnival of Family Life.ht

 

Blogger Scribbit said ... (7:42 am) : 

I'd recommend Ed Emberley's drawing books too. My kids have really loved them.

 

Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said ... (3:39 pm) : 

Good heavens...you mean there's hope?! We're talking I can't even draw a recognizable stick person...

This is a horrible post to be reading after the library has closed. =P

 

Blogger JHS said ... (8:36 am) : 

I doubt that there's any hope for me! Received my kid's report card yesterday: Wow! All A's with an A- in Art. He says, "Mom, I can't do art." My response: "Blame me. It's genetic."

Thanks for sharing this in the Carnival of Family Life. Come on by later today and read the other wonderful submissions. There are lots!

 

Blogger K T Cat said ... (1:17 am) : 

Great stuff! I found an artist in our area who would teach kids art. My son loved it when he was about 9. The artist moved away, but I'd love to find another for my daughter. I wonder if you could supplement these books with a local art student when the kids get older.

 

Blogger Mary said ... (4:04 am) : 

Great idea! I love drawing with my daughter. Here from the CFL.:O)

 

Blogger Erica Douglas said ... (7:06 am) : 

CoFL Visitor

Excellent tip. You should consider submitting to the Festival of Family Flair.

 

Blogger Lisa @ Let's Talk Babies said ... (11:23 am) : 

sounds like a great find. What a great way to expand your craft time.

Here via the carnival of family life.

 

post a comment