Powered by Blogger

Saturday, February 17, 2007

When sleep deprivation becomes a serious matter

It happened at 3.14pm.

I called my mother - who lives in the next state - at work and asked (but silently pleaded) for her to come and help me for a few days next week.

Although she is busy (it's Ash Wednesday next week - or kick-off for Christianity's 40 Day countdown to Easter, and that's kind of important to her work) she said she will come, because that's the kind of mum she is.

I haven't let on this week, but I am still unwell, I am exhausted, and Riley's waking every 1.5-2 hours in the night is doing me in. I heave myself through a day. I am not enjoying life much. I am not enjoying my children as much as I'd like to because they've both been sick this week and I should be worrying about them.

I rely on Adam, and he does not like that much because he's tired too. The weather's been stinking hot again and we're all getting cabin fever.

Normally I wouldn't even call her, because she is busy (she is always busy) and I am way too proud to even admit things have gotten this bad. But they have. Call me a sook if you will, Lord knows that's what I call myself, but I'm calling it how I see it.

I have received emails from people saying to me how nasty I am that I have practiced controlled crying in the past (which is interesting as I didn't think I HAD even discussed it before) and now I anticipate even more because that's what’s going to happen with Riley. Very. Soon.

Because something bad will happen if I do nothing for much longer.

Comments on "When sleep deprivation becomes a serious matter"

 

Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said ... (8:41 am) : 

A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. I feel sad for the gals that get all judgemental about that sort of thing. As if they know you, your child, and your life situation intimately or something.

I hope you can feel some pride over having asked for help. It's not easy, it's embarrassing, and it makes you feel crummy. But, it means you care enough about this wee family of yours (and your sanity), to do something you hate to do.

 

Blogger Scribbit said ... (10:06 am) : 

Gosh I'm sorry. That's where I wish you lived close by where I could take the kids for you for an afternoon and let you get a good long nap in.

Too bad you couldn't just Fedex them up here for the weekend :)

Hope things improve soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 pm) : 

Helllooo K! It's michelle from the old Sara board(!) Do what you have to do my friend, forget what anyone else says. My best friend sounds like she is getting more sleep at night than you and she has a two week old(!) + a 2yr old. I'm glad you'll be getting help next week.

 

Blogger strauss said ... (6:14 pm) : 

I am glad that you you were able to call your mum, and moreso, that she is willing to come. It is hard when you don't have support - especially when you are sick, SAHM's, don't get sickies.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (6:16 pm) : 

I only said to the OH the other night (after reading another blog post on the topic) that we were so, so lucky with our babies and their sleeping. We had our moments, but by and large, we got through it all pretty unscathed. We decided #3 had actually been the hardest, but by some miracle, this ghastly acryillic blanket (given by a great aunt) suddenly got 'accepted' as her 'blankie' (he takes the credit for shoving it at her in desperation one night and she suddenly grabbed onto it and calmed down, and did forevermore.) All pure luck. And no illnesses or unwellness with either mum or bub to take us over the edge. And any sleep deprivation takes you so close to the edge.

We did do controlled crying stuff at various stages, and they all lived through it, and still love us.

I really wish people would refrain from criticising others.

And, kudos to you. I think it's actually a brave and sensible thing to pick up the phone and call your mum for help. Heaven knows, I would have had too much pride to do so, probably (although not as many years of "comments" had passed under the bridge when they were babies...)

 

Blogger Carina said ... (12:24 am) : 

I know where you are. Do not feel badly about calling for reinforcements.

The #1 reason I am worried about having another child is the nighttime issue. I hate the way I feel when I'm taking care of a child in the middle of the night. I'm angry and bitter and sarcastic. I hate myself for it, but those emotions are overwhelming when it's 3am and you're soooo tired. My kids sleep very well now. The thought of doing it all again. . . Ugh! I remember being so relieved that my second baby could cry a little bit at night. (First one has asthma. Controlled crying became uncontrolled barfing in no time at all.)

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (6:51 pm) : 

Hello Michelle- no need to re-introduce yourself, just say its your Fav QLD CA talking and I know who it is ;)

babystepper - wow, asthma, that would make it tough. I am lucky in that I don't have to worry about that with Riley. Small mercies, eh?

 

post a comment