Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Convalescing

Since I’ve been sick and have had to take to my bed for the past few days, I’ve come to discover something about myself: that is, though I am ill, even during that time, I am pretty much the same control freak as I ever am.

That said, I kind of have to be. Otherwise, the household would sink into chaos.

For example, I am typing this in bed now. I am under the sheets but have ‘made it’ up as much as possible so as to keep a ‘clean’ a look as possible. I’m crouched up in my little pocket, whereas Adam’s side looks pristinely smooth. I have opened the curtains – again – after Adam shut them before, because I like the semblance of normality. I think he believes in total darkness is essential for recovery. I think a black room is depressing.

This bed oasis is a strong contrast to the rest of the house, which has been under Adam’s and my father’s control for the past few days. (My father is visiting us for two weeks).

“What IS that smell?” Adam asked me last night, as he sniffed around for the culprit.

Sorry buddy, I can’t smell at the moment (and it’s probably a good thing!). It’s usually me who’s on ODOUR ALERT. It’s nice to hand it over to someone else for a while.

But, my rest is fleeting. For example, yesterday, as Adam filled in for me at preschool duty, I went back to bed myself, only to be interrupted by my father’s pleas: “Uh – Karen – um…I think Riley has a dirty nappy.”

Why don’t YOU change it? I could’ve asked, but I already know the answer. My father doesn’t ‘do’ nappy duty. Never has; never will.

So I hoisted myself up and did what was necessary.

I also did several loads of laundry, the vacuuming, marshaled my father to do some jobs for me at the local hardware store...etc.etc...because the ‘daddy-state’ of the house needed some ‘mummy-state’ reparation.

So life, really, has been pretty much the same.

How about you? Does your life pretty much stay the same, even sick, even if you take to your bed?

Comments on "Convalescing"

 

Blogger Maddy said ... (9:59 am) : 

My dad wouldn't do nappies either [maybe it's generational?]
Sorry you're still ill, but like you say, it doesn't make that much of a difference to one's lifestyle!
Cheers

 

Blogger Jen at Semantically driven said ... (11:09 am) : 

My life is pretty much the same when I'm sick. There is nobody else to take over so it has to be me. Hope you feel better soon.

My dad changed one nappy on me (his first of three daughters) when I was a baby and he's never done one since apparently.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 pm) : 

Take to my bed when sick? Ha! Dont I wish! Althoug my hubby is pretty good around the house and with the kids etc....I dont think Ive ever been able to stay in bed sick! (Maybe thats the control frek in ME!!!) I was even up and about doing stuff after my c-section delivery of baby number 2! I must be mad!

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (5:20 pm) : 

I draw the line at vacuuming when I'm sick, that's for sure. (Seeing I struggle to find the inclination to do it the rest of the time, that's not hard to pass up. It's not like it's going anywhere.) My pet hate is being asked 'what's for dinner' if I'm crook. Hell, I don't get sick much, so please.. just sort it....

I have a few bitter memories of having borderline pneumonia, being given a ride in an ambulance between the doctor's surgery and the hospital because being put on ventolin made me cough even worse... then being sent home. My husband did all the running around with kids, picking me up, bringing me home.. getting pizza... then he *had* to go back into work because of a major project happening. I was not happy, and will probably still bring it up every now and then when we are in our nineties! ;)

 

Blogger Bea said ... (11:28 pm) : 

My dad never changed diapers when my sister and I were kids, but he's had solo babysitting duty from time to time since Bub and Pie were born, and when he has to change a poopy diaper he is such a drama queen about it! I get home to find out that he has changed the single biggest, messiest diaper in all history.

 

Blogger Jordan McCollum said ... (1:04 am) : 

My mom 'bout fell over when my dad changed Hayden's diaper and got him dressed. In fact, she had to document this event with picture. Hayden (who was 14 months) has this really bewildered expression like, "Why are YOU doing this to me, Papa?" Of all the people he thought he could trust ;)

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (5:18 am) : 

Everything tends to go out of the window when I'm ill, especially if I feel I just can't do anything.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:39 pm) : 

So sorry about your illness. Hope you are on the mend and will be out and about in no time. In recent years, I've become acquainted with some serious health issues which have taken quite a bit of time. The thing I regret is that one never gets that time back again. Things get behind and there always seems to be a neverending catchup.

But always remember what Blessed Julian said...
all will be well, all manner of things will be well.

Blessings and bliss

 

post a comment