Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 24, 2007

1001 Book Challenge - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Rather an appropriate choice, as last night I watched Capote (thoughts? I was a little disappointed, to tell the truth).

Anyway, considered one of the most significant novels of the twentieth century, it is perhaps indicative of the stature of To Kill a Mockingbird that most people who haven’t read it are at least familiar with the core story. Set in America’s South in the 1930’s, a judicious white lawyer, Atticus Finch, is appointed to defend a black man charged with rape. What follows is the community’s reaction to the trial, highlighting the strong, racist stereotypes that the world fought, and is still fighting, to overcome.

Told brilliantly through the eyes of precocious seven-year-old ‘Scout’ Finch, a girl not afraid of a fist fight, we can see why Atticus was voted by the American Film Institute (AFI) as the Number 1 “Greatest Hero” of all time. Man, Father, Citizen––he is them all, and then some.

Labels:

Comments on "1001 Book Challenge - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee"

 

Blogger Nepharia said ... (7:14 am) : 

This was one of the few books I truly enjoyed being forced to read in high school.

I was also quite please when my daughter had to read it as well and we discussed where she was in the book and what was going on as she made her way through the book. We also watched the movie (I enjoyed it as well).

Glad to see someone else likes it as well.

-n

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 pm) : 

I first read this book for school in Year 10. I asked for a copy for Christmas, and have read it several times since. It is a classic, in my mind, because I genuinely enjoy every moment of the story each time I read it.

 

Blogger KPB said ... (10:55 pm) : 

I too was a little disappointed with Capote - I thought Phillip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic, but I felt like it skimmed over everything and just lacked a depth to really engage me.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:14 am) : 

The movie Capote did make me want to read In Cold Blood, since I never have. I saw the movie while I was in the midst of reading TKAM, too!!

 

Blogger Dawn said ... (6:24 am) : 

To Kill a Mockingbird is a story that has stayed in my mind since reading it - always a sure sign that the book has layers beyond the obvious. I loved it.

 

post a comment