Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 30, 2007

TT - could you pass to be an Australian citizen?

It was published recently, and has been mentioned in the past, that the test one must take to become an Australian citizen is too hard. Here is a sample of some of the questions (source). Take it and see if you know your stuff, Aussies! (Or, non-Aussies, to see if you'd be a suitable candidate!) I've answered mine in bold. I will also let you know if I got any wrong in italics (I'll be honest, promise!)

1. In what year did Federation take place? 1900 no 1901!

2. Which day of the year is Australia Day? Jan 26

3. Who was the first Prime Minister of Australia? Edmund Barton

4. What is the first line of Australia's national anthem? 'Australian's all let us rejoice'*

5. What is the floral emblem of Australia? Wattle?

6. In what city is the Parliament House of the Commonwealth Parliament located? Canberra

7. Who is the Queen's representative in Australia? The Governor-General

8. Who is the head of the Australian Government? The Prime Minister

9. In what year did the European settlement of Australia start? 1788

10. Serving on a jury if required is a responsibility of Australian citizenship:
true or false? True

11. In Australia, everyone is free to practice the religion of their choice, or practice no religion: true or false? True

12. Australian citizens aged 18 years or over are required to enrol on the electoral register: true or false? True

13. What are three colours of the Australian Flag? Red, White and Blue



Only one wrong! And I can't believe that one...der...

*I left out an 'n' in 'Australian's' originally in the slip of the typing, which I've replaced here. Thanks Bryce!

Comments on "TT - could you pass to be an Australian citizen?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 am) : 

The first line of the anthem is Australians all let us rejoice

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (8:17 am) : 

Ah, yes, that was what I meant...thanks though for spelling that out....

 

Blogger pussreboots said ... (8:28 am) : 

I would have gotten about 75% of the questions right without having to look up answers. Happy TT.

 

Blogger Tink said ... (8:32 am) : 

I'm afraid I can't pass to be an Aussie... :-) Great idea for a TT!
My TT lists 13 activities / sports I did or still do.

 

Blogger impwork said ... (8:38 am) : 

Wouldn't let me stay with my score but then I like it where I am so thats's not so much of a problem :-)

 

Blogger Suprina said ... (8:50 am) : 

No, I would never pass. Although, I find it amazing that I did know 4 of the answers.

Great list of questions.
Happy T13!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:57 am) : 

I wouldn't make it either. Great TT and very educational.

Ed
http://edsthread.x10hosting.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 am) : 

The first line of the national anthem should be "Once a jolly swagman camped beside a billabong"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 am) : 

I have always wanted to visit Australia...I wonder if I ever will. I am afraid I wouldn't be a suitable candidate for citizenship with a lot more study; I only knew the one about the flag.

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (9:50 am) : 

What a great idea here. One wrong is good and you were only off 1 year. Have a great TT. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 am) : 

DH and I were talking about this the other day and I reckon that alot of Aussies wouldn't even be able to pass this test! I didn't know 2 of them!

 

Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said ... (10:46 am) : 

I wouldn't have passed without a chance to study, but that set of questions doesn't seem that hard, if one's given the chance to study up.

Does this mean you've become an official Aussie?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 am) : 

Ok here are my answers:
1. No idea whatsoever
2. January 26th
3. Edmund Barton
4. Australian's all let us rejoice
5. I am assuming wattle flowers
6. Canberra
7. Govener-general
8. Prime Minister
9. No idea
10. True!
11. True
12. True!
13. Red, white and blue

I think I did okay, only don't know the dates for a couple. I'm first generation Australian, my parents were both English.

 

Blogger Lori said ... (11:23 am) : 

I have a friend that lives in Australia...she always calls me Lovie....Its so cute:)

 

Blogger Emmyrose said ... (1:42 pm) : 

Obviously, I won't pass as an Australian :)

Happy T13!

 

Blogger L^2 said ... (1:52 pm) : 

I guess it's a good thing I don't live in Australia, I only knew four or five of these. :-)

 

Blogger Jen said ... (2:17 pm) : 

Sadly, I failed. Grandly.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (3:20 pm) : 

I think Bryce might mean there should not be an apostrophe in '...Australians...'

And how does knowing the answers to all those sort of questions make one a good citizen?

 

Blogger Quiskaeya said ... (10:54 pm) : 

Interesting you should post this. My youngest sibling is studying for the American citizen test of 100 questions as we speak. He will only be asked 5 questions from the list but he's not told in advance which 5 they will be. We had a good laugh over the weekend about the test because we knew so few of the answers and were no help to him at all. But then again we didn't study here but abroad. But to make matters worse he went to his job and asked around to his colleagues to see if he could get help and still got very few answers. Well I guess there's a valid reason the US is ranked low in educational ranking in the world reports.

 

Blogger Deb said ... (12:23 am) : 

Oooh, those were hard - I got the last 3, but those were guesses... ;)

Guess I don't know much about Australia - it was fun to learn more though! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 am) : 

I'm from Canada. Is that a good enough excuse? I guess with some studying I could become an Australian Citizen. Maybe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 am) : 

The American one is easy peasy as they give you the material to learn first!
Cheers

 

Blogger la bellina mammina said ... (2:02 am) : 

Great lesson on Australia!

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (4:03 am) : 

Hey, I can at least spell Australia. Does that count for something?

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (5:12 am) : 

They are tricky questions. I would be able to answer about the Federation...of StarFleet!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 am) : 

I'm an American, and had no clue about these! I do want to visit Australia someday, though!

Happy TT!

 

Blogger bernie said ... (11:35 am) : 

It's Amazing that anyone becomes Australian at all, lovey.

And why is your question #6 different than the one from the source?

Mine's up at 13 Famous Dogs

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 pm) : 

Well, I got number 5 right, but I have to admit that it's only because of a Monty Python skit.

Interesting TT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 pm) : 

Hmmm, 19 out of 20 in the link. I said 22 million not 21 million (didn't we just reach 22 million?)

I'm quite proud of myself actually, seems the stuff they tried to teach me in school may have stuck after all!

have sent the link to my 2 Chinese and 1 Canadian workmate immigrants to see how they go - pretty curious about results actually. I don't think knowing or not knowing makes them any less Australian but it will be interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 pm) : 

Not to be one of those painful people, but came across your blog from someone elses and have been enjoying it, just one thing, you're not actually legally required to enrol to vote, you're legally required to vote once enrolled. I didn't enrol until 21 and no issue at all. Felt i didn't know enough about the system to vote until then. Have a great day!
Cheers

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (3:56 pm) : 

Anon - thanks, I don't know who you are but that's a nice revelation! Slippery question then...

 

post a comment