Powered by Blogger

Monday, November 13, 2006

“The Power of Marketing Compels You!”

I’m writing this lightly, as I tend to do with most posts, but deep down I think we all know how serious this subject can become. Anyone with children over the age of about two will be able to tell you the power advertising starts to have. Television ads, once only admired for their colours now take on a deeper significance. Once Keira hears a McDonalds one, for example, she will come running from the other end of the house to see what new toy they have to accompany their Happy Meals. Part of the crime here, for me, is that I know from working there that these toys may cost us about 60 cents, but only probably cost five cents in truth.

Some kids grab at whatever product or character which most appeals to their personality. Now for Keira, it’s the Disney Princesses. After a few deep breaths, I can deal with this, especially now Adam and I have discovered a covert strategy for helping us deal with the times Keira becomes difficult. For example, Supernanny over here advertises for Continental. If Keira doesn’t like what we’ve served her up for dinner, we just say, ‘Oh, but its Supernanny Rice!’ or ‘Supernanny Soup’ and decides that that’s OK and she yums it down. I wonder sometimes about the lack of honesty we’ve resorted too—because generally she’s an excellent eater—but an empty-plate usually trumps all other considerations: especially when it’s the end of the day, and we’re all tired and just waiting for bedtime to roll around.

How do you coerce your kids to do as they’re told? More importantly, do you ever feel guilty that you have to?

Labels: , ,

Comments on "“The Power of Marketing Compels You!”"

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (9:06 am) : 

It continues till they're much older, let me tell you. A few years back #2 - must have been around 8 or 9 and usually the good eater - had a thing that she didn't like Shepherd's Pie. So one night when I made it, she asked "What's this?" and I told her it was "Mince Dish"; she wolfed it down. Talk about double standards though .. she's been in trouble for lying recently.. and then you realise that as parents you tend to do the 'white lie' thing yourself with stuff like that. Where's the difference? (Although technically 'mince dish' wasn't a lie, really....)

I am also preparing to gradually add lite milk to a carton of full cream, because Ms 13 carries on about only wanting to drink full cream.

So, yes I feel guilty..
But you do it for sanity...

If the Supernanny theme works.. then use it, I reckon. You need every trick up your sleeve. And if 'supernanny' would approve then why not? (Frankly I'm a bit disappointed in Supernanny advertising packets of Continental stuff.. those things have so many additives.. I tend to steer clear of them...

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (2:24 pm) : 

So do I normally, T. All the additives and crap I hate. Thanks for your input. I feel better--I think!

 

post a comment