Powered by Blogger

Friday, June 29, 2007

Warm and toasty

This past weekend we put our electric blanket on our bed. I should state for the record that, honestly, we really don't need it. We don't. We've done quite well these past few years without it.

This year is different. We have decided we MUST have total comfort 100% of the time we are in bed, and this includes the icy first seconds you climb in and repeatedly rub the sheets with your feet to warm up. Uh-huh. Not us. We're too good for latent exercise.

Naturally, like the Borg, this will turn a laser beam of displeasure from the global warming watchdogs in our direction. But I first want to plead my case for the luxury. I cut corners in other ways. I only wash our clothes in cold water. I do hang our clothes from the curtain rods instead of running the dryer full-tilt (thus making our house look not unlike the dry-cleaners).I bathe the kids in only an inch of water, which I then recycle (well, I haven't for these past few months, but I will again come spring!).

We haven't used the blanket yet either, I should add. Last night to experiment with alternate methods of heating, I wore socks to bed. Now, in my entire life, I've avoided wearing socks to bed, because I've felt that if I've sunk that low, then all I need to complete the ensemble is a nightcap, bifocal glasses and a glass of water next to my bed for the false-teeth. No, one who sleeps nude (which I do) could not risk the embarrassment of donning socks. It would be akin to someone in a nudist camp wearing a swimming cap in a pool. I mean, what's the point?

But do you know what? The socks worked. They were, in fact, amazing.

So now I'm left with a dilemma: put on the blanket for the undeniable coziness it brings, or keep my spartan sensibilities intact by pulling up my cotton high-tops?

What would you do?

Comments on "Warm and toasty"

 

Blogger spanky said ... (6:55 am) : 

try warming a few potatoes in the oven before you go to bed after you get up the next morning, crumble them outside for the birds ive heard of people doing that and then putting them in their mittens on cold winter mornings

 

Blogger spanky said ... (6:56 am) : 

try warming a few potatoes in the oven before you go to bed after you get up the next morning, crumble them outside for the birds ive heard of people doing that and then putting them in their mittens on cold winter mornings

 

Blogger Jen at Semantically driven said ... (10:28 am) : 

I'm a flannelette sheets and pajamas girl. On the really cold nights I put the heater on to take the edge off the coldness in my room and keep my socks on until I'm warm. Throw away that electric blanket.

 

Blogger Kin said ... (11:17 am) : 

Last night Hubby got the spare bed doona, and we snuggled under it watching Dr Who. We took it to bed and slept with two doonas all night. Worked a treat although we both wore pj's (unusual) and I had my beenie on most of the night. Yes it was that cold in Tropical North Queensland!

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (11:59 am) : 

spanky - wow, I've never heard that one before! it'd work though!

jaycee - I love my flannelette sheets too. They're the best. Haven't got them on now though, so maybe they're making the difference.

kin - so how cold is cold to you? I'm keen to know!

 

Blogger Kin said ... (12:31 pm) : 

Umm, last two nights it's got down to 4 and 5 degrees respectively. Remembering of course in Tropical North Queensland our houses are built for the heat. We have large glass windows with few curtains. Our houses NEED windows open, otherwise it is impossible to breathe. We have tiles through 90% of our house. We have large eaves so the houses don't heat up in the morning or afternoon sun, which means in winter (that lasts for all of 2 months) the houses don't get any sun at all.

Oh, and our town (a whole 4000 people) sold out of heaters two weeks ago. We've had our coldest June on record. One day it didn't even hit 12.

I feel the cold at about 18, especially being pregnant, so 4 and 5 degrees really hit me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 am) : 

David Jones has these 'boots' that look like the shape of ugh boots but are completely- all over- made of DOONA. You walk around with a doona on your feet! How perfect is that?!?!?!?

 

post a comment