Powered by Blogger

Friday, September 14, 2007

1001 Book Challenge - Abandoned Titles

Fear of Flying by Erica Jong (halfway through before abandoning)

Published in the 1970's I can see why this might be considered a 'feminist tract'; what with the frank discussions of marriage, relationships, but, mostly, sex.

However I've found that most books which are primarily concerned with sex are, on the whole, boring. You're thinking how do I know this? I did do a degree in Cultural Studies, remember. Plus, I once did a stint reviewing erotic literature (no joke).

But I digress...

Fear of Flying was indulgent pontificating (fine) but there were no characters to redeem the text, or offer plausible excuse to keep reading. The main character, Isadora, really bothered me and I couldn't help but think, "Wow - with this kind of woman as the trailblazer or icon for the 'new feminist' movement, it's no wonder why now feminism is now considered washed-up or passe. Women obviously listened to the prattle."

There is a 'but'. Jong is unmistakably bright. There were a few sentences which made me Stop. Reread. Stop. Reread again. Quite arresting. I've made note of them for future blogging reference!

Who knows, one day I'll probably make it through...

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières (one-quarter done before abandoning)

It went from charmingly eccentric to downright bizarre.

Labels:

Comments on "1001 Book Challenge - Abandoned Titles"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 am) : 

Ooo great! Just what I needed. Now I feel completely ancient. I can't remember when I actually read it nor the content any more, which only confirms that senility has really set in.
Cheers

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (2:48 pm) : 

I've tried reading Jong, but couldn't get past the polemical nature of the work, which is why I also don't read Ayn Rand.

As for Captain Corelli, never read it, though I did see the movie. All I can say is this: Nic Cage does the worst Italian accent I've ever heard coming from an Italian-American. Sigh.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (3:15 pm) : 

mcewan - oh, sorry, didn't want to make you feel like that!;)

d.paul - It's so infurirating to hear non-locals do an accent, isn't it? Australian accents are hard too, so whenever I hear actors do a bad one, I just flinch.

(not that our accent is the sexiest one going round by any means!)

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (4:36 pm) : 

i disagree. i find the Australian accent quite sexy. i once worked with a woman originally from Australia, and i swear i could stand there and listen to her read an inventory slip.

but yes, it is frustrating to hear accents done poorly.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (6:46 pm) : 

really? Our accent's sexy? Wow, first time I've heard that! Nice to hear, too.... :) Maybe now I won't be so afraid to do a podcast sometime in the future.................

 

Blogger jeanie said ... (7:20 am) : 

Oh I am so sad you didn't enjoy Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I loved it!

 

post a comment