Powered by Blogger

Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm a bloody amateur - go on, ask about it

Keira's face balloons up in front of me.

"You happy, mum?" she asks, forehead crinkling slightly.

"Sure, I'm fine" I said quickly.

In fact, I had been silently contemplating the turn of events in my daughter's life during the past week. The toilet training (and I was so sure we'd gone past that stage) has been abysmal. She still has the odd 'leak' which she's able to shut off - sure - but no, this week its been complete gushers. Better still, it's called for changes of clothes, shoes, dignities, and treading the delicate line between patience and forbearance and frustration and questioning.

Then, this morning.......

Complete fecal decimation. She comes to me holding up a pair of undies that look like they've been dragged from the sewer.

"Mum. Dirty."

Rigghhtttt...

So after I scrub the clothes, the carpet (don't ask), the toilet bowl, I go outside for a moment to refresh the nasal palate.

And so when she appears before me, I look at her and try to smile. This is the same girl who has voluntarily used the potty since 18 months old. And yet this is the same girl who saturates one, sometimes two, nappies of a nighttime when other kids her same age are beginning to grow out of nighttime nappies altogether.

I know, I know, I shouldn't let it bother me. I've heard "Oh, its just a phase; a natural regression" a tonne of times now.

I guess I'm still stuck between the region of when I remember her vividly as a baby; now, I don't know which way to lead her or how to react to different situations. Times like this I'm reminded of a great t-shirt I should print up for myself: "I'M A BLOODY AMATEUR" and on the back it'll say, "GO ON - ASK ABOUT IT."

It's with these thoughts of incompetence in mind that I reach out and give my girl a hug - because it's about as close as I can get to getting something right.

And with the ferocity in which it is returned, do I hope that I am.

Comments on "I'm a bloody amateur - go on, ask about it"

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (10:32 am) : 

Yep, been there done that. The details and timeline may not match exactly, but I recognise the messy undies thing, oh my word I do...

It won't be any consolation to tell you that 1 out of 3 of my children didn't master dry nights till they were 7, and that was with clinical help.

The good news is that it worked, and none of them went to school in nappies! - freeing you up for questioning your parenting skills in regard to 'tweenage' and 'teenage' issues.

Enjoy!

 

Blogger katef said ... (2:32 pm) : 

long time lurker but had to jump in to comment on this topic... On days like yours I keep telling myself that there is always someone else up to their elbows in the same 'stuff'... and so here I am that someone else!

I have almost four year old twins who have been toilet learning for more than a year.. some weeks I get lulled into a false sense of security and think they may finally have got it... then things go pear shaped and I blog about some disaster like when we visited the kinder they'd like to go to next year....

It will get better.... won't it?? In the mean time go with the hugs!

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (4:49 am) : 

I wouldn't know, but there are probably many who have shared your experiences.

 

Blogger SusieJ said ... (8:31 am) : 

What is it this week? My finally-potty-trained toddler has regressed again.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (3:13 pm) : 

T- I remember well your troubles with Ms daughter....we talked a lot on IM at the time, if you recall! ;)

katef - thanks for de-lurking. I love meeting 'new faces' :) I'm sorry to hear about your troubles ----and yours too SusieJ, now I see your message. Gah! It's hard.

 

Blogger Rob at Kintropy said ... (2:36 pm) : 

Our daughter has decided to potty train herself with some success here/some not, but we parents were unprepared to even start. Commiserating with you....

 

post a comment