Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Seems like this issue ain't going to die anytime soon

Remember this?

The battle continues!

Comments on "Seems like this issue ain't going to die anytime soon"

 

Blogger D. Paul said ... (5:01 am) : 

Wow, this is really causing an uproar. I don't know why this is such a tender issue with people. I think Bill Shakespeare said it best when he said, "What's in a name? A rose by any other name..." And then I forgot the rest of quote, but you get my point. But I suppose for a lot of people, their name is an important signifier, part of their identity.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (10:27 am) : 

She doesn't get that most of us objected to the delivery. I don't give a rats if she doesn't want to change her name, and I'm happy to read her reasons why. But she pissed me and many others off with her aggressive criticism.

I don't feel threatened by the 'patriarchy'. I actually feel more threatened by bitchy modern, think-they're-feminists like her!!

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (11:27 am) : 

d.paul - I know, it's huge. Frankly, for my mind, it's enough that women have the CHOICE now to change their names or not. THat's it. Move on....

...bringing me to Tracey's point, and yes, that's exactly it I think. Deveny isn't known for her tact - and I'll doubt she'll change her style, more revel in it now after this - but yes, the rub was in the delivery.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (10:45 pm) : 

Bang on, K. We have the CHOICE. Finito!

 

post a comment