Powered by Blogger

Saturday, July 14, 2007

There are birthdays and then there are birthdays....

K: Can I have a birthday party next week?

Me: It's not your birthday next week.

K: Can I have a birthday party at Christmas?

Me: It isn't anyone's birthday at Christmas.

Whoa. Did I just say that? 1000 kms away, my mother would've looked up from her tea, and shivered; someone had just walked over her grave. Naughty me. Is this the time to get into religion and Jesus?

Alas, no, the moment has passed.

K: Can I have a birthday party tomorrow?

Me: No

K: Can I have one next birthday?

Me: Yes, but it's not for a long time.

So I'll be listening to pleas like this for a while....

Comments on "There are birthdays and then there are birthdays...."

 

Blogger Kin said ... (9:02 am) : 

Oohhh, I can so relate. Apart from the constant request for birthday parties (July is hubby's and mine) we were in the UK for a family holiday a few months ago, and obviously looking at some beautiful old churches. When my 3 year old asked what a church was I thought maybe it was time I started that instruction. Course that would mean getting up at 6am on a Sunday (7am service), and I'm not quite prepared to do that just yet.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (10:17 am) : 

My kids sat through a christening that was part of a normal mass and it has turned them off ever wanting to go in a church again.

Wait for the school years, K. They are planning their next birthday parties as soon as the last one is over, complete with lists of who's on the invitation list. That wouldn't be so bad except that it takes the form of 'You can come to my party.' vs "You're not coming to my birthday..."

*sighs*

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (1:26 pm) : 

kin- early masses are a killer....from years of experience!

tracey - oh, yuk.....

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (10:01 pm) : 

It must be hard trying to explain why a child can't have a birthday every week.

 

Blogger Tracey said ... (10:28 am) : 

Not really jean-luc! You just say "It's not your birthday!"
It's when you might decide to explain that they are only having a birthday party every other year that it's a bit tricky!

 

post a comment