Powered by Blogger

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Facebook Lament

Last night I cried into Facebook
A friend, my friend, you see
emailed me privately to say
he didn't remember me!

How dare you, I said.
My picture, it's right there!
Didn't my eyes reveal
Our past in their hypnotic stare?

How could he forget me so?
Were my high-school charms
so kerplunked?
(in fact, in retrospect,
yes, I was a bit of a dunce)

I'm tempted to switch the bastard off
Never again - Facebook, you're kicked
But if that's the case, how will
I ever know if I've got another 'free gift'?

How do you deal with Facebook?
Are these people just those you're afraid to ignore?
Or do you "Add Friend"
with the kind of abandon I deplore?

'Cause are we meant to hold on forever?
Or keep one foot on each side of now and then?
And if that's the case, are you gonna drown in the tide
of unpaid dividends?

Comments on "The Facebook Lament"

 

Blogger Julie Pippert said ... (8:14 am) : 

1. Hey at least you found friends. Other than my cousin and sister you bloggy people (and do not mistake me---I lurves you all tons) I am SOL.

2. I asked that very question about people who I don't know who send friendship questions. I deeply fear the ones with no profiles...will I hurt their fragile Facebook feelings if I deny friendship? Wow, that seems SO WRONG. So, worse, I keep waiting to see if I hear again from them.

3. I have no trouble denying the solicitors. I do not mean lawyers, I mean trolling spammers who pretend to be my friend to get me to buy from them.

4. But someone you once knew? That's tough. Maybe try messaging a bit and see if anything sticks. Like testing cooked spaghetti by throwing it on the wall.

(This message seems deranged? it does? really? I guess so. But no, I'm not high. I'm never high. So, no weed today unless you count my two year old who is not so much a weed as Demon Seed. God Help Me.)

Julie
Using My Words

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (8:27 am) : 

Julie, you're derangement reads perfectly fine to me ;) Maybe because I am fluent in the speech ;)

Don't worry, mentioned friend and I criss-crossed a bit this morning, all got sorted, and now all's fine. Phew!

Trollers and Spammers? really? I haven't come across any yet (touch wood)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 am) : 

I'm always paranoid that if I run into someone in sydney that I knew from Uni at Armidale or the Central Coast, that they won't remember my name as I never got really close to people. Like, I had frinds, but we didn't spend time together outside of university. But, I would expect someone I went to high school with to recognise me as there were only 42 people in my year 12 class and I knew these people for 6 years, 5 days a week. No excuses. (In fact, I'd kinda like to run into someone from school so I can say 'hey, look how great my skin is now...)

 

Blogger Jen at Semantically driven said ... (11:37 am) : 

I joined Facebook to see what the fuss is about and to do a bit of research for work. So far I have 3 friends. My profile is sort of separate from my blog so I haven't actually sought blogging buddies out there, although one of my 'friends' also reads my blog. There's a link to it in my about page.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 am) : 

I haven't even joined Facebook.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 pm) : 

This is one of the reasons why I haven't joined Facebook. Oh and I am shocking with names, I have worked with people for YEARS and still can't remember their name! So I definitely wouldn't have any friends...
And lets not mention the fact that I would spend my entire life on the computer between yahoogroups, blogging and Facebook. Not joining Facebook means my kids get fed, maybe washed, possibly acknowledged with face to face conversation....

 

Blogger Twisted Cinderella said ... (12:50 am) : 

I am loving all the old friends that I am finding.

 

Blogger Miscellaneous-Mum said ... (6:20 am) : 

kelley - oh, it does get so compulsive!!! So I get you totally.

twisted cinderella- that part is nice, I must admit. I've gotten a few nice surprises

 

post a comment