Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Time for something light: A Book Poll

Today being Tuesday usually means a session with Lisa, but as our time finished a couple of weeks ago, that's not going to happen. Pity, because I'm about at my wits end. However I'm not going to mope here. Not today.

Instead: I got this list fromBlog that Mommy! who in turn got it elsewhere. Please forgive me if I don't go chasing down the original source more.

1. One book that changed your life - the hardest question first.

Lots of books have changed my life, at various intervals of my life. To be completely honest, it could be Kim Newman’s Anno Dracula
and Bram Stoker's Dracula which I read at roughly the same time. It gave me a taste for two particular topics I love: the gothic and vampires. (I know how that sounds, but I assure you I am not in the least bit scary!)

2. One book that you've read more than once.

I’ve read most of my favourites more than once. I re-read Dracula once a year. I’ve re-read Pillars of the Earth and Magician
a fair few times too.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

Perhaps War and Peace so I have no excuse not to finish it!

4. One book that made you laugh.

Most recently, Bret Easton Ellis’Lunar Park. He is one sick, twisted puppy.

5. One book that made you cry.

A Farewell to Arms and Phantom of the Opera. The first because I was in the extreme early hormonal stages of pregnancy with Keira. The second because I was a hormonal 16 year old. I have cried in others though I must say…

6. One book that you wish you had written.

I could go the Harry Potter route, but I won’t. Perhaps Jane Eyre.

7. One book you wish had never been written.

Too many to list. Any spin-offs-from-the-movie-books are usually terrible.


8. One book that you are reading at the moment.

I’ve just finished In Her Shoes . I’ve got The Known World books to start.

9. One book that you've been meaning to read.

One day, I WILL finish Anna Karenina

10. Five others that you'd like to do this.

Anyone who wants to! Link back to me and tell me what you come up with because I love these kinds of lists!

Comments on "Time for something light: A Book Poll"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 am) : 

1. One book that changed your life - the hardest question first.

Bridge to Terabithia- read it in Year 6 then again when I was at Uni in Armidale- it reminded me so much about how I loved children's literature that it helped give me courage to leave my languages degree and do a teaching degree instead.

2. One book that you've read more than once.

Too many to mention!

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.

Live from New York- an uncensored history of Saturday night Live. Very comprehensive and I never tire of picking it up and re-reading it.

4. One book that made you laugh.

I hate myself and want to die- the 50 most depressing songs you have ever heard. That or 101 great novels in Haiku.

5. One book that made you cry.

Not a thing.

6. One book that you wish you had written.

Voices in the Park- if I could change my first name to Anthony then I could get away with that!!

7. One book you wish had never been written.

NOthing comes to mind, although I wish that Moby Dick had been edited a little bit more effectively...

8. One book that you are reading at the moment.

Hogfather- for my master's.

9. One book that you've been meaning to read.

The rest of the texts on my reading list.

10. Five others that you'd like to do this.

I'm just replying to you!!

 

post a comment